Dedicated Player Program
Juan De Fuca – Westshore Velodrome
Westhills FC’s Dedicated Player Program is a program that develops the fundamental skills required by players to succeed at whatever level of the game they aspire to. At Westhills FC, the training environment resembles the game environment, with each training session focusing on relevant, game-realistic skill development, complemented with a multi-sport approach, to develop motivated athletes.
Children in the Dedicated Player Program focus on their football development as well as their physical literacy. Westhills FC will run sessions that focus on specific skill sets that enhance their soccer development such as agility, balance, coordination, decision-making, falling safely, peripheral awareness and speed.
Canada Soccer has created the Dedicated Player Program to guide clubs toward the best principles in player development, by taking a nationally coordinated approach to developing young soccer players. The Dedicated Player Program follows the guidelines and standards as outlined in the Canada Soccer Association Skill Centre manual.
Westhills FC is affiliated with Westcastle International Academy (WIA).
Please note that: All players registered in the Dedicated Player Program must be registered with Lower Island Soccer. Players train in the Dedicated Player Program and play for their local community clubs with friends.
WESTHILLS FC GAMES
- Westhills FC will play games in Festivals/Tournaments following the Canada Soccer Dedicated Player Program guidelines.
- Westhills FC will register its teams at the appropriate level to ensure proper player development
- Girls may play on boy’s teams if they choose to do so
Westhills FC hosts free Player Identification Camps so that players can experience the Dedicated Player Program. Our ID Camps are not tryouts. They are a way for us to get to know potential Dedicated Player Program players and for players to get to know us. ID camp dates can be found here: Player Identification Camps.
Philosophy on Player Placement
Placement of players is based on a variety of variables:
- “Soccer Age” (player’s maturity, physical age, technical ability and overall understanding of soccer)
- Stage of physical development and literacy (fluid and ever-changing)
- Team dynamic
- Biological age
Some players may play in their biological age group, while others are placed on teams based on their soccer age. Westhills FC technical coaches will decide a player’s placement on an individual basis.
It is imperative that parents and players understand the following as it relates to the Dedicated Player Program and Westhills FC Teams.
- Cannot enrol more players than the player to coach ratio allows
- Priority registration will be given to players who choose to play for Westhills FC teams
- Should space allow, additional spots will be given to players seeking supplementary training from other clubs
- Cannot turn away players who show promise just because they are inexperienced at the present moment
- Cannot accurately predict the potential or future performance of a player
- Cannot guarantee that your player will make the BCSPL team at U13 because the characteristics of young players are not the same as those in mature elite athletes
- Can develop and support players that are ready and willing to train, follow our standards-based training methods and trust our judgement as it relates to their development
T-I-P-S Philosophy for Player Development
Technical – understanding of what a technical player is – willing to receive technical training, perceptive to developing technique (quality of the touch of the ball)… playing games and taking part in tournaments does not equate to the technical development of a player.
Intelligence – understanding the game, understanding instructions and ability to apply those instructions to play and game… following through the instructions (Game understanding – tactical understanding)
Personality – attitude, attention, coachability, decision making, creative thinking, motivation, concentration, communication (psychosocial)
Speed – physical development, speed of thought and speed of action, problem-solving, intensity of training
With the understanding of age-appropriate levels of intensity and workload, technical training will focus on
- passing and receiving
- ball control
- running with the ball
- shielding the ball
- finishing on goal
With the understanding of age-appropriate levels of intensity and workload, tactical training will focus on:
- combination plays
- 1v1 attacking
- receiving on turn
- crossing and finishing
- positional play
- finishing on goal
- movement off the ball
- 1v1 defending
The Tactical emphasis is on possession, passing accuracy, and fluid movement between the orthodox delineations of midfield and attacking principles.
Fall Intake – September 2023 – March 2024
Fall Training Schedule
|Mon||Technical/ Tactical Sessions||3:30 pm – 4:30pm|
|Wed||Technical/ Tactical Sessions||3:30 pm – 4:30pm|
|Sat||External Tournaments only BCSA approved|
|Sun||External Tournaments only BCSA approved|
Fall Program Fees
- $1,280.00 (Sept 2023 – March 2024)
- Sibling Discount available
- All players receive
- Standards-based curriculum
- Full Adidas Kit
- 2 sessions per week
- 1x Festival
- Professional coaching
- Low player-to-coach ratios
Refund policies are listed on registration forms when you register for a program.
Please ensure you know when the refund deadlines are and the terms specific to them.